Frequently Asked Questions
General SpartanCard Questions
Go to the SpartanCard Center, located in 106 Moran Commons (the UNCG Dining Hall). A SpartanCard representative is there to assist you from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
If you are a student, your UNCG ID Number is a 9 digit number given to you on your acceptance letter. Faculty obtain this number through the Provost's Office upon hire, and Staff will receive this number from Human Resources upon hire. If you already have your UNCG email account, you can find your ID number here by using your iSpartan login.
Your card should work automatically once you've enrolled in classes. If you have just received your card, it may take up to an hour to link with your student record. If you experience problems with your card, please contact the SpartanCard Center, located in 106 Moran Commons (the UNCG Dining Hall).
Your card has the potential to be used at all campus dining locations, the UNCG Bookstore, laundry rooms, pay-for-print stations, and other locations all across campus. For details about everything you card can do, see our Using Your Card page.
No. The SpartanCard is not transferable and should be carried only by you at all times. Using another person's card or card number is, at minimum, a felony and will be reported to UNCG Police and student conduct. Cards being used by anyone other than their owner will be confiscated and can be recovered, by their owner, at the SpartanCard Center upon delivery.
Treat your card with care. Do not punch holes in it or place it near anything that would erase the magnetic stripe. Do not expose the card to water. Card protectors are available for purchase in the UNCG Bookstore and SpartanCard Center.
Accounts on your SpartanCard
All students have three accessible fund accounts on their card:
- SpartanCash: Think of this as a general cash-replacement account that can be used all across campus. Some campus locations require SpartanCash for payment, including: laundry machines, library copiers, and pay-for-print stations.
- Flex: Flex is a declining balance meal plan account that allows you to purchase food at UNCG dining locations. Please note that the General Meal Plan Terms and Conditions apply to all Flex funds.
- Forever Flex: Forever Flex is the account that holds your Flex after each semester is complete. This fund will hold your old Flex and will be automatically prioritized over your new Flex for purchases - you won't need to tell cashiers which fund to use. As with Flex, this account is non-refundable and is subject to General Meal Plan Terms and Conditions.
- Bookstore Bucks: Bookstore Bucks allows you to put an amount you decide (up to $750 per term) on your SpartanCard for use in the UNCG Bookstore. These funds are charged to your student account and reconcile against any credits you may have, including financial aid and scholarships. Get your books without waiting for a check!
Flex can be used at all UNCG Dining locations, including the Spartan Restaurant. Flex will give you a $1.00 discount when used at the Spartan Restaurant.
Once added to your card, Bookstore Bucks can be used in-person or online with the UNCG Bookstore. When ordering online, please select the "SpartanCard" option at checkout and enter the 16-digit number from the front of your SpartanCard.
Note: If you are renting textbooks, a credit card will be required but will not be charged unless you fail to return the rental.
Adding Funds to your SpartanCard
If you are having trouble completing SpartanCard Online deposits, please verify that:
- All information matches the information as printed on the credit card.
- You have the correct billing address for the credit card.
- Guest Deposits: The target SpartanCard holder has logged into SpartanCard Online at least once.
- Guest Deposits: You have the correct "preferred email address" of the target SpartanCard holder.
- Guest Deposits: You have the correct "last 4 digits" of the SpartanCard holder's current SpartanCard. Old or bad card numbers will cause deposits to fail.
Please remember that we cannot give out cardholder information over the phone; you will need to contact the SpartanCard holder to obtain their information. If you still need assistance after verifying the above information, please contact us at (336) 334-5651, or at email@example.com.
All checks should be payable to UNCG. The check should also have the current telephone number and the last 8 digits of the student's SpartanCard number. These pieces of information will allow the staff to add the money to the correct account and contact the student if there are any questions.
Removing Funds from your SpartanCard
SpartanCash may only be refunded if you are no longer affiliated with the University. All refund requests are processed through your University account. To request a refund and get further details, contact the SpartanCard Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember to include your full name and student ID number.
Bookstore Bucks will stay on your card until you request a refund or your account is closed. We encourage students to think twice before requesting a refund to avoid unnecessary refund charges. To request a refund and additional details, contact the SpartanCard Center at email@example.com. Please remember to include your full name and student ID number. All refund requests are processed through your University account.
No. Because Flex is considered a component of your UNCG meal plan it cannot be refunded or transferred to other accounts.
Flex no longer expires, but it will roll into a "Forever Flex" account on your SpartanCard at the end of each semester. When using Flex at retail locations, "Forever Flex" will be used first, then current Flex. This will happen automatically and both balances will be visible via SpartanCard Online. For more details please see our terms and conditions or contact us.
If the machine is a bank ATM, please contact the corresponding bank as listed on the machine. For all other SpartanCard readers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (336) 334-5651.
Absolutely. To obtain a quote, please contact the SpartanCard Center at email@example.com.
Yes, if you are eligible to view the data you are requesting. To request report access or a specific report, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to contact the SpartanCard Center with any questions or concerns you may have.